Here’s an easy guide to mobile sports betting sites aimed at USA players only. Now which apps are best for betting sports in the USA? Well, we aim to help you gain just a bit more knowledge on the subject and to help you properly use your iPhone or Android device to bet sports in this newly-found regulated sportsbook environment!
Intro to Mobile Betting in a Regulated Landscape
Mobile betting accounts for a majority of the market share of all wagers placed worldwide. The convenience and accessibility bettors have when placing wagers via an iPhone or Android phone has led to this growth. Imagine getting breaking news about a game while you are not near a computer or watching the game at a local bar, and mobile sports betting allows bettors to place a wager instantly.
The top sportsbook operators cater to all fans worldwide, providing betting markets for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, PGAm Premier League and so much more. Prior to selecting a sportsbook to place your bets, make sure to confirm the payment methods, betting markets, and bonuses offered to meet and/or exceed your needs.
History behind Mobile Sportsbooks
The first online sportsbook was introduced in 1996, and mobile sports betting began shortly after with the launch of many betting apps in the year 2000. Betting shops worldwide have continued to shut down as the need to place a bet in person has become unnecessary. Mobile betting from a smartphone or tablet has assisted in keeping market share controlled as operators have been able to engineer software that is versatile across various operating systems.
Paired with the accessibility bettors have by placing a bet on their mobile drive, sportsbooks have been able to create new betting markets such as live in-play betting. As sports betting regulations continue to be lifted, mobile sports betting will continue to explode.
For example, in February 2020, it was reported that New Jersey collected $837 million from general sports gamblers who were coming from New York. This revenue stream pushed for a bill that would legalize mobile gaming in New York with a 12.5% tax for each bet. Currently, in 2021, mobile gamblers make up nearly 50% of the market share, predominantly gamblers under the age of 35.
Mobile Compatibility iOS & Android
The majority of all legal sportsbooks have a fully functioning betting mobile application. However, if your preferred sportsbook does not have an app just yet, bettors can enjoy a similar betting experience by visiting the sports betting site on their mobile internet browser.
On iPhone (the most popular in the world…)
Many sports betting sites have tailored their software engineering around iOS technology due to its popularity amongst bettors. The responsive characteristics of the iPhone and its backward compatibility allow users to use different versions to share a similar betting experience. iPad users can enjoy the same functionality as the iPhone, along with a bigger screen. The bigger screen would be a major benefit if the user decided to live stream a sporting event directly from the sports betting website/app.
Although Apple is currently the market leader, Android has been giving them a run for their money. One drawback is that the Google Play store does not allow any real money gambling applications to be downloaded directly in the US. Applications can be downloaded directly from the sports betting website, with a button typically located on the main page. Android also provides responsive and capable technology to allow bettors to enjoy a range of streamlined features.
On Windows & Blackberry
Sports bettors using a Windows operating system on their mobile device may not be as common but still make up a fair share of the market. The popularity of the Windows Surface tablet has led to this operating system being used by sports bettors and gambling alike. Most major sportsbooks provide full functionality to Windows mobiles users. Blackberry holds the smallest market share, but major sportsbooks have provided software compatibility due to its loyal user base.
How to Bet Sports From your Phone
Each sportsbook user interface will vary, but after using various sportsbook mobile sites and/or mobile apps, the following steps were common.
- Signup for your preferred sportsbook
- Enter any promo codes and deposit funds to your account
- Log into your sportsbook account via the mobile site or app
- Select the sport you would like to place a bet on
- Select the specific game/match you would like to bet on
- Select the bet you would like to place, which will create a “Bet Slip/Ticket.”
- Enter the stake/risk you would like the place
- Confirm your wager
- Good luck!
Beyond these basic steps to place your first bet on your phone, mobile sportsbooks can provide bettors various wager types along with in-play betting. Bettors should have the ability to choose the betting odds that make them most comfortable, American(-500), Decimal(1.20), and Fractional (1/5).
Best Sports Betting Apps
- Caesars Sportsbook
- Golden Nugget
- William Hill
Apps You can Download
- Reputable sportsbook
- Huge variety of sports betting markets available
- Attractive & functional UI/UX
- Accepts all common deposit options, like credit card and Paypal
- Fast payouts
- One of the best sportsbook app interfaces
- Fantasy league and/or DFS options for all major sports
- Comprehensive list of many bet types for each sport
- Easy deposit and withdrawal options
- One single wallet for sports betting, daily fantasy, and casino
- 24/7 Bet Types, including NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, UFC, and more
- Impressive live, In-Play Betting
- Exclusive BetSync Feature
- Elite Reward Program
- Supports easy deposits and withdrawal options
William Hill Sports
- A wide array of sport betting markets provides
- Full and partial cashouts
- Easy to navigate and user-friendly for bettors
- InPlay live betting option
- One of the best reputations in the sports betting industry
- Reputable brand worldwide
- Free live-streaming of any game along with live betting options
- Boosted bets offered daily with “Lions Boost” feature
- Easy deposits and withdrawals
- Safe and Secure transactions
- Based on the Betstars platform (PokerStars)
- Bet on all major sporting events in the US and Canada
- In-Play futures betting opportunities
- Place bets on individual markets, groups of games, and futures
- Very fast withdrawals
Depositing from your Phone
After signing up for a mobile sportsbook, you will need to fund your betting account prior to placing a bet. Most sites allow bettors to make deposits with e-wallets (PayPal, Skrill, Neteller), major credit cards (AMEX, Mastercard, Visa), debit, eco card, and cryptocurrencies.
The majority of sportsbooks will accept various types of currency. Deposits can be made by accessing the sportsbooks deposit or cashier section. Bettors should feel safe and secure when depositing into a reputable online sportsbook but do your research and check reviews prior to completing your transaction.
Mobile sports betting will only continue to grow as people become more comfortable using their phones instead of desktop computers. A future can be envisioned where land sportsbooks will need to cater in some sense to mobile bettors who are looking for a place to watch the game.
As the legalization of sports betting continues to open doors, mobile sports betting will only grow similar to other mainstream regulated software applications. These growth factors make mobile sports betting not only the future but the present.